It’s an emotional moment, in the live action movie of Disney’s Cinderella, Ella and her father walk in to visit her sick mother, probably for the very last time. It’s in that moment that Ella’s mother leaves her with one last parting secret — a great secret that she claims will “see you through all the trials life will offer.”
With a trembling voice and tears in both their eyes, Cinderella’s mother says, “You must always remember this, have courage and be kind.”
I think we can all relate to that moment. We’ve all been that scared little girl looking into the eyes of a problem life offered up to us. Whether it was a serious illness, the death of a loved one, financial crisis, being betrayed by someone we love, or the dark tunnel of our future, we’ve stood paralyzed by the unknown of things out of our control.
And if we step back and see the bigger picture, we can see the truth in this statement. There’s more power than you know in being kind. In fact, there’s magic in it. So, in order to make it through life’s problems, we must
courageto face yourself.
courageto believe good can come from the bad.
courageto forgive yourself and to forgive others.
courageto love unconditionally.
courageto be loved unconditionally.
courageto fail and get back up again.
courageto say “yes”.
courageto say “no”.
courageto speak up and say the truth.
courageto face the unknown.
courageto believe you are going to be ok, no matter what.
courageto believe the universe has your back.
courageto see the good in humanity.
courageto be patient and wait.
And Be Kind
- Be kind to yourself, you’re doing the best you know how.
- Be kind to your parents, they did the best they knew how.
- Be kind to your family.
- Be kind to the stranger on the street.
- Be kind to the jerk.
- Be kind to the person you loved and who betrayed you.
- Be kind to the person you don’t understand.
- Be kind to the animals.
- Be kind to the plants.
- Be kind to the earth.
- Be kind to children.
- Be kind to someone else’s property.
- Be kind to humanity.
- Be kind to the politicians in Washington.
- Be kind to the people online who you don’t agree with.
- Be kind to the person on the other end.
- Be kind to the other driver.
- Be kind to the past you.
- Be kind to the future you.
If you can navigate your way through the trials of life following this simple secret, you will find that something very magical happens within yourself and your life.